As you may know, I’m moving to Edinburgh next month to do a Parliamentary Internship with Inclusion Scotland, and I’ve been looking for some PAs to assist me while I’m there. The good news is I’ve found one awesome PA, but I’m still looking for one or two more to fill the remaining hours. I’m really hoping to find them in time for moving, so I won’t have to resort to agency care. Please share this as far as you can, especially if you are in or around Edinburgh.
Personal Assistants (Women only)
£8.75 per hour
Fixed Term: 29th January-13th May 2018
16 hours per week- These can be worked by one person or split between two people. Please indicate your availability in your cover letter.
Statutory holiday included
See below for the hours available. If you are unable to work the exact hours listed but you are still interested, please get in touch as these hours are indicative only and can be flexible.
I’m Rebecca, a 24-year-old disabled woman and powered wheelchair user seeking 1 or 2 Personal Assistants to assist me during my Parliamentary Internship in Edinburgh. These roles are open to women only; applications from trans women are actively welcomed. Previous care experience is not necessary.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assistance with personal care including bathing
- Assistance with more challenging aspects of dressing eg. Buttons and shoes
- Preparing and cooking meals
- Assistance with grocery shopping
- Housework including cleaning, tidying and laundry
- Assistance to attend social activities such as gigs, the cinema and shopping
- May be asked to assist on trips to other cities in the UK and Europe possibly with an occasional overnight stay
- Advanced level of spoken English
- Excellent communication skills
- Good knowledge of the Independent Living Philosophy and an understanding of how your role as a PA fits into that
- Reliable, respectful, discreet, sensitive, friendly, and pro-active in the role
- Able to work quickly and efficiently, sometimes under pressure
- Flexible- willing to cover for colleagues outside of normal working days, change working hours at short notice and be contactable in an emergency
- Good food safety knowledge and cooking skills; comfortable preparing and cooking meat
- Strong commitment to the principles of Equality and Diversity
- Willingness to learn and develop
- Experience of working with young disabled adults in any capacity
- Similar interests, especially in sociology, politics and live music
- Experience of/ interest in challenging social injustice
- Good at reading maps, following directions and/or finding your way around new places
Please note, smokers are welcome to apply, but you will not be permitted to smoke when working in my flat.
Monday to Friday 7:45-8:30
Monday and Wednesday 17:00-18:30
+5.75 hours to be worked whenever is convenient
Please send a CV of up to 2 pages and brief covering letter including which hours you are available to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 12th January at 23:59. Interviews will probably take place via Skype.
Again, please share this on your social media and with anyone you think may be interested. Thank you!