I have some news! I’m going to be moving to Edinburgh for the first part of 2018 to do an Inclusion Scotland Parliamentary Internship! I’m so excited! It may not surprise you to know that I am looking for 2 part-time PAs to assist me while I am there. If you live in or around Edinburgh, or you know anyone who may be interested then please do share this advert, and feel free to get in touch if you have any questions!
Personal Assistants (Women only)
£8.75 per hour
Fixed Term: 14-17 consecutive weeks between January and May 2018
Role 1: 19 hours per week Monday to Thursday
Role 2: 11 hours per week Friday to Sunday
Statutory holiday included
See below for typical weekly schedule. If you are unable to work the exact days/ hours listed but you are still interested, please get in touch as these hours are indicative only and can be flexible.
I’m Rebecca, a 24-year-old disabled woman and powered wheelchair user seeking 2 Personal Assistants to assist me during my Parliamentary Internship in Edinburgh. These roles are open to women only; applications from trans women are actively welcomed. Previous care experience is not necessary.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assistance with personal care including bathing
- Assistance with more challenging aspects of dressing eg. Buttons and shoes
- Preparing and cooking meals
- Assistance with grocery shopping
- Housework including cleaning, tidying and laundry
- Assistance to attend social activities such as gigs, the cinema and shopping
- May be asked to assist on trips to other cities in the UK and Europe possibly with an occasional overnight stay
- Advanced level of spoken English
- Excellent communication skills
- Good knowledge of the Independent Living Philosophy and an understanding of how your role as a PA fits into that
- Reliable, respectful, discreet, sensitive, friendly, and pro-active in the role
- Able to work quickly and efficiently, sometimes under pressure
- Flexible- willing to cover for colleagues outside of normal working days, change working hours at short notice and be contactable in an emergency
- Good food safety knowledge and cooking skills; comfortable preparing and cooking meat
- Strong commitment to the principles of Equality and Diversity
- Willingness to learn and develop
- Experience of working with young disabled adults in any capacity
- Similar interests, especially in sociology, politics and live music
- Experience of/ interest in challenging social injustice
- Good at reading maps, following directions and/or finding your way around new places
Please note, smokers are welcome to apply, but you will not be permitted to smoke when working in my flat.
Typical weekly schedule
Monday: 7:45-8:30, 17:00-18:30
Tuesday: 7:45-8:30, 17:00-20:30
Thursday: 7:45-8:30, 17:00-20:30
+6 hours to be worked at a mutually agreed time
Friday: 7:45-8:30, 17:00-18:30
Please send a CV of up to 2 pages and brief covering letter including which role you would like to apply for and your available start date to email@example.com as soon as possible (latest 19th December 23:59; applications may close earlier depending on the quality of applications received). If I like your application I will contact you within a few working days for interview, which will likely take place via Skype.
Again, please share this on your social media and with anyone you think may be interested. Thank you!