Featured image: ‘Personal Assistants urgently required in Leeds!’ in purple lettering on a white banner.
Unfortunately I’m yet to find some PAs to support me during my Masters in Leeds so I am re-advertising the roles. I have a back up plan so I will definitely start in time but I’m really hoping to find the right people before I move on 22nd September! Please share this post even if you shared the last one as I need it to reach as far as possible. Thank you!
2x Personal Assistants (Women only) urgently required for the new academic year
£8.75 per hour
Fixed Term: Starting from 22nd September onwards- June 2019 with the possibility of extension until August 2020
28 hours per week to be split between 2 people.
Hours are guaranteed in term-time only but there is the possibility of work during holiday periods by mutual agreement.
Statutory holiday included
See below for typical weekly schedule for Semester 1. If you are unable to work the exact days/ hours listed but you are still interested, please get in touch as these hours are indicative only and can be flexible. You can apply for whichever hours you like, but you must plan to take at least 2 consecutive days off each week.
I’m Rebecca, a 25-year-old disabled woman and powered wheelchair user seeking 2 Personal Assistants to assist me during my Masters course (MSc Inequalities and Social Science) at the University of Leeds. I will be based a 10-minute walk away from the University of Leeds campus. These roles are open to women only; applications from trans women are actively welcomed. Previous care experience is not necessary.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assistance with personal care including bathing
- Assistance with more challenging aspects of dressing eg. Buttons and shoes
- Preparing and cooking meals
- Assistance with grocery shopping
- Housework including cleaning, tidying and laundry
- Assistance to attend social activities such as gigs, the cinema and shopping
- May be asked to assist on trips to other cities in the UK and Europe possibly with an occasional overnight stay
- Advanced level of spoken English
- Excellent communication skills
- Good knowledge of the Independent Living Philosophy and an understanding of how your role as a PA fits into that
- Reliable, respectful, discreet, sensitive, friendly, and pro-active in the role
- Able to work quickly and efficiently, sometimes under pressure
- Flexible- willing to cover for colleagues outside of normal working days, change working hours at short notice and be contactable in an emergency
- Good food safety knowledge and cooking skills; comfortable preparing and cooking meat
- Strong commitment to the principles of Equality and Diversity
- Willingness to learn and develop
- Experience of working with young disabled adults in any capacity
- Good intercultural awareness and communication skills
- Similar interests, especially in sociology, politics and live music
- Experience of/ interest in challenging social injustice
- Good at reading maps, following directions and/or finding your way around new places
Please note, smokers are welcome to apply, but you will not be permitted to smoke when working in my flat.
Typical weekly schedule for Semester 1
Monday: 10:30-11:15, 17:00-18:30
Tuesday: Morning shift 45 minutes- Time TBC, 17:00-20:30
Wednesday: 7:45-8:30, 17:00-18:30
Thursday: 10:30-11:15, 17:00-20:30
Friday: 10:30-11:15, 17:00-18:30
+ 4 hours to be worked at a mutually agreed time
Please send a CV of up to 2 pages and brief covering letter including the hours you are interested in to email@example.com as soon as possible. If I like your application I will contact you within a few days for interview, to start from the week following 22nd September onwards.
Please share if you can! Thank you!