Image Description: White background with centred mid-blue text reading: Personal Assistant Vacancies Leeds
Applications for these roles are now closed
I’m recruiting 2 PAs in Leeds to provide support while I finish my Master’s course. Full details below. The ad is also attached as a MS Word document at the bottom of this post. Please share this with anyone you think may be interested. Thanks!
£9.43 per hour weekdays; £11.74 per hour weekends
Maternity cover role: 8 hours per week fixed term until 14th April 2022
Non-maternity cover role 9.5 hours per week fixed term until 31st May 2022. It’s likely there will be the option to extend until at least September 2022, with possibility to be made permanent following this depending on staffing and living situation from September.
Statutory holiday pay included.
I’m Rebecca, a 28-year-old disabled queer woman and powered wheelchair user. I’m studying MSc Inequalities and Social Science at the University of Leeds and I’m seeking a 2 Personal Assistants to support me while I finish my course. I am based in Woodhouse, a 10-minute walk from the university campus. These roles are not open to men. Applications from trans women and non-binary people are actively welcomed. Previous care experience is not necessary. Please see below for the hours available. Please note work is not guaranteed during the Spring holidays from 26th March to 24th April. Hours for this period can be negotiated upon appointment.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assistance with personal care including bathing
- Assistance with more challenging aspects of dressing eg. Buttons and shoes
- Preparing and cooking meals
- Assistance with grocery shopping and collecting medication
- Housework including cleaning, tidying and laundry
- Assistance with social activities such as going out for meals or to the cinema when I feel safe to do so (This is likely to require the use of public transport).
- Must be willing and able to follow my coronavirus policy strictly
- Advanced level of day-to-day English language skills (C1 Speaking, Listening and Reading)
- Good understanding of a PA’s role in enabling choice and control for disabled people
- Excellent communication skills
- Good food safety knowledge and cooking skills; comfortable preparing and cooking meat
- Strong commitment to the principles of Equality and Diversity
- Must be queer friendly, willing to support me to go on dates and to attend LGBTQ events/venues
- Reliable, respectful, discreet, sensitive, friendly, and pro-active in the role
- Able to work quickly and efficiently, sometimes under pressure
- Flexible- willing and able to change working hours at short notice, cover for colleagues should they have to self-isolate and be contactable in an emergency
- Willingness to learn and develop
- Able to travel to work/ to do grocery shopping on foot or with a car to minimise the use of public transport
- Good intercultural awareness and communication skills
- Similar interests, especially in sociology, politics, literature, podcasts and/or TV.
- Experience of/ interest in challenging social injustice
Please note, smokers are welcome to apply, but you will not be permitted to smoke when working in my flat.
Maternity Cover Role:
+3.75 hours any weekday for groceries and cleaning
Non-maternity cover role:
9.5 hours per week including Sundays 18:00-21:30 to be agreed between us.
Please indicate which hours you are interested in in your application. These hours can be flexible so if you are unable to work these exact times, please do still apply. You will still be expected to be flexible and cover for colleagues when necessary. Please see the full weekly schedule below.
Typical weekly schedule (total between 3 PAs)
Monday: 10:30-11:15, 18:00-19:30
Tuesday: 10:30-11:15, 18:00-21:30
Wednesday: 10:30-11:15, 18:00-19:30
Thursday: 10:30-11:15, 18:00-21:30
Friday: 10:30-11:15, 18:00-19:30
+ 4 hours to be worked at a mutually agreed time
Please submit a cover letter style application via UKCIL or send a CV of up to 2 pages and a short cover letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. If I like your application, I will contact you within a few days for a brief Zoom interview, to start from Sunday 13th February or week beginning 14th February.