I’m recruiting a PA in Leeds to provide maternity cover support while I finish my Master’s course. Full details below. The ad is also attached as a MS Word document at the bottom of this post. Also attached is a copy of my coronavirus policy. Please share this with anyone you think may be interested. Thanks!
Personal Assistant maternity cover for young disabled queer woman studying Master’s degree
£9.43 per hour (rising to £11.74 for any weekend hours subject to funding approval)
Fixed Term until 31st August 2021, possibility to be made permanent depending on staffing and living situation in September.
8 hours per week (rising to 9-10 hours per week subject to funding approval, and up to 14 hours per week should colleagues need to self-isolate)
Statutory holiday pay included.
I’m Rebecca, a 27-year-old disabled queer woman and powered wheelchair user. I’m studying MSc Inequalities and Social Science at the University of Leeds and I’m seeking a Personal Assistant for maternity cover while I finish my course. I am based in Woodhouse, a 10-minute walk from the university campus. This role is not open to men; applications from women (including trans women), and non-binary people are actively welcomed. Previous care experience is not necessary.
Current proposed hours are: Wednesday 10:30-11am, Thursday 5:30- 9pm, 2 hours for grocery shopping and 2 hours for cleaning at a mutually convenient time. However, these hours are flexible so if you can’t work these specific hours please do still apply. See below for a full typical weekly schedule.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assistance with personal care including bathing
- Assistance with more challenging aspects of dressing eg. Buttons and shoes
- Preparing and cooking meals
- Assistance with grocery shopping and collecting medication
- Housework including cleaning, tidying and laundry
- Assistance with social activities such as going out for meals or to the cinema (This is likely to require the use of public transport).
- Must be willing and able to follow the attached Coronavirus policy strictly
- Advanced level of spoken English
- Good understanding of a PA’s role in enabling choice and control for disabled people
- Excellent communication skills
- Good food safety knowledge and cooking skills; comfortable preparing and cooking meat
- Strong commitment to the principles of Equality and Diversity
- Must be queer friendly, willing to support me to go on dates and to attend LGBTQ events/venues
- Reliable, respectful, discreet, sensitive, friendly, and pro-active in the role
- Able to work quickly and efficiently, sometimes under pressure
- Flexible- willing to change working hours at short notice, cover for colleagues should they have to self-isolate and be contactable in an emergency
- Willingness to learn and develop
- Able to travel to work/ to do grocery shopping on foot or with a car to minimise the use of public transport
- Good intercultural awareness and communication skills
- Similar interests, especially in sociology, politics, literature, podcasts and/or TV.
- Experience of/ interest in challenging social injustice
Please note, smokers are welcome to apply, but you will not be permitted to smoke when working in my flat.
Typical weekly schedule (total between 3 PAs)
Monday: 10:30-11, 17:30-19:00
Tuesday: 10:30-11, 17:30-21:00
Wednesday: 10:30-11, 17:30-19:00
Thursday: 10:30-11, 17:30-21:00
Friday: 10:30-11, 17:30-19:00
Sunday: – 17:30-21:00
+ 4 hours to be worked at a mutually agreed time
Extra hours for social activities may also be offered
Please send a CV of up to 2 pages and a short cover letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. If I like your application, I will contact you within a few days for a brief Zoom interview, to start from 2nd June.