Image Description: White background with centred, bold purple text reading: Personal Assistant Vacancy Leeds
I’m recruiting a PA to join my team to support me while I finish my Master’s course. Full details below. The ad is also attached as a MS Word document at the bottom of this post. Please share this with anyone you think may be interested. Thanks!
£10.50 per hour weekdays; £13.07 per hour weekends
10.5 hours per week
Fixed term until 31st May 2023 or 8th September 2023 depending on your availability, with the possibility to extend/ be made permanent depending on staffing and living situation from September.
Work is not guaranteed during Easter holidays (throughout April). Hours for this period can be negotiated upon appointment.
Statutory holiday pay included.
I’m Rebecca, a 29-year-old disabled queer woman and powered wheelchair user. I’m studying MSc Inequalities and Social Science at the University of Leeds and I’m seeking a Personal Assistant to join my team of PAs and to support me while I finish my course. I am based in Woodhouse, a 10-minute walk from the university campus. This role is not open to cisgender men. Applications from people of all marginalised genders are actively welcomed. Previous care experience is not necessary. Please see below for my full typical weekly schedule.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assistance with personal care including bathing
- Assistance with more challenging aspects of dressing eg. Buttons and shoes
- Preparing and cooking meals
- Assistance with grocery shopping and collecting medication
- Housework including cleaning, tidying and laundry
- Assistance with paperwork and admin
- Assistance with social activities such as going out for meals or to the cinema when I feel safe to do so (This is likely to require the use of public transport).
- Must be willing and able to follow my coronavirus policy strictly (outlined at interview or available on request)
- Must be available to work Sundays, AND must be available for at least 2 morning shifts a week
- Advanced level of day-to-day English language skills (C1 Speaking, Listening and Reading)
- Good understanding of a PA’s role in enabling choice and control for disabled people
- Excellent communication skills
- Good food safety knowledge and cooking skills; comfortable preparing and cooking meat
- Strong commitment to the principles of Equality and Diversity
- Must be queer friendly, willing to support me to go on dates and to attend LGBTQ events/venues
- Reliable, respectful, discreet, sensitive, friendly, and pro-active in the role
- Able to work quickly and efficiently, sometimes under pressure
- Flexible- willing and able to change working hours at short notice, cover for colleagues should they have to self-isolate and be contactable in an emergency
- Willingness to learn and develop
- Good intercultural awareness and communication skills
- Similar interests, especially in sociology, politics, literature, podcasts and/or TV.
- Experience of/ interest in challenging social injustice
Please note, smokers are welcome to apply, but you will not be permitted to smoke when working in my flat.
Typical weekly schedule (total between 3 PAs)
Monday: 10:30-11:15, 18:00-19:30
Tuesday: 10:30-11:15, 18:00-21:30
Wednesday: 10:30-11:15, 18:00-19:30
Thursday: 10:30-11:15, 18:00-21:30
Friday: 10:30-11:15, 18:00-19:30
+ 4 hours to be worked at a mutually agreed time
Please submit a cover letter style application via UKCIL or send a CV of up to 2 pages and a short cover letter directly to email@example.com as soon as possible. If I like your application, I will contact you within a few days for a brief Zoom interview to start from w/b 6th March